Why I am here & How you can support me
Dear brothers and sisters:Blessings from Winnipeg! This posting is an introduction and background to my mission in the Middle East, which I served from September 2005 until my evacuation in July, 2006.
CONTENTS
- Background: Why I served in Lebanon
- 8 simple ways to support me
- Fundraising suggestions
- Accompanying church communities
Background: Why I served in Lebanon
Quite simply, I was in Lebanon to serve, to learn, and to grow in relationship with God and with people in the Middle East.
There is scarcely a day when the Middle East is not in the news. We hear of suicide bombers, wars of aggression, chaos and hatred. But from the other vantage point, discontent is growing here. Images we censor back home are flashed on every screen - invasions, massacres by occupying armies, wars of terror and racism. Things are reaching a boiling point.
The Middle East is also on the minds of the global planners - those who are weaving an extensive and intricate fabric of power that supercedes any of the historic empires. Oil reserves and docile colonies here are a vital asset for global control, and churches are increasingly speaking out and bearing witness to these injustices. Another world is possible. It is our duty to pray actively and be ready for God to act through us in bringing true peace and security, for all.
It is at times like these that culture-to-culture solidarity, at a grassroots level, is of vital importance. I realized just how important this was when Israel invaded and destroyed much of Lebanon this summer, after Hezbollah captured two soldiers and demanded negotiations. Israel's response displaced a quarter of the entire country from their homes and killed more than 1,300 people within a few months.
We need to be reaching out across the boundaries that divide us. We need to build relationships. We need to be there for our friends when they need help. We are called, always, to fight the dehumanization of Arabs and Muslims (and anyone) in our countries, where they are branded as terrorists. We need to confront anti-semitism and other forms of racism in our communities, and refuse to let the war-mongers bully us with such accusations. Supporting Arabs and Palestinians is neither anti-Israeli nor anti-Semitic. Plain and simple.
I've been thinking a lot about the 1970s and 80s. There emerged an accompaniment movement in the churches of the North, whose members journeyed to live with families in Central America. The hope was that 'walking with them' might prevent human rights abuses by U.S.-backed dictatorships. It was unprecedented in history, and built lasting relationships.
Today, such solidarity continues with the likes of Christian Peacemaker Teams in Iraq, Palestine, and Canada, for instance, and in the value of solidarity and accompaniment has taken root in the missions of some Northern churches and programmes such as Frontier Internships for Mission.
My reasons for being in the Middle East were not quite so heroic or 'front-line'. But after serving six months with an ecumenical youth movement in the region (as an overseas personnel for the United Church of Canada, an appointment which ended in May 2006), I began working more closely with Palestinian refugees and poorer communities, particularly in the field of popular education and employment rights.
Above all, this is not a mission of sending but of receiving - of listening for the call of God, and following that call home to bring about transformation and healing. Now that I'm here, I am seeking ways we can transform conflict, power and Empire.
'Walk with me, I will walk with you': 8 simple ways to support me
I would love to maintain a relationship with your congregation or community in some way during this time (September 2005-6). I feel honoured that so many of you have asked to walk with me in my mission this year. Accompanying me here is a way of bringing home the stories, connections and learnings, and bridging the gap between your church and the global situation.
Here are eight easy ways that your community can connect with me. Please let me know by e-mail which of these (or all of them!) interest you, or if you have other ideas:
1. Pray! Please pray, indidually and as a community, for my work in the Middle East, and for peace, justice and mutual respect. There are prayers posted every week on this website.
2. Invite me to speak or give a sermon in your community or church, or at activist gatherings. I will be in Winnipeg for September 2006, Victoria and Vancouver in October; I can also make special trips to help bring the issue home in an engaging and positive way.
3. Fundraise for humanitarian relief and reconstruction in Lebanon. Contact me for information on excellent organizations in Lebanon, including Nabaa in the South and the Sanaya Relief Centre in Beirut.
4. Print exerpts of my letters on this site in your congregation's bulletin or newsletter
5. Ask me to write something topical; send me any questions about the news or my experience; or use one of my Letters, to help fundraise for overseas solidarity work.
6. Support peace organizations in the Middle East and here. See below for some suggestions.
What might you fundraise for?
Priority for Nabaa and Sanaya Relief, mentioned above. Contact me for details.
The organizations that I am working for here - Ecumenical Popular Education Program (EPEP) and Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP) - are doing phenominal work that you will be hearing about on this journal. They also really need funding. Please contact me if you are interested in raising money for their activities with poor and marginalized people in Lebanon.
If you to support general peace-building in the region, through the Church nationally or internationally, I suggest the World Council of Churches program in Palestine/Israel, the Mission & Service Fund (United Church), the Primate's World Development and Relief Fund (Anglican), the Mennonite Central Committee (Mennonite), Development & Peace (Catholic), or Kairos (Ecumenical) - ask about supporting their Middle East work, which is often underfunded.
Any of these supports would be totally and absolutely appreciated by me, and would help strengthen and support our ministry. Of course, when I return to Canada in October 2006, I will be touring to spread the word and speak about the new missions paradigm - that of solidarity,
compassion and partnership.
Please let me know how your community can support me, and share in this rich and rewarding relationship-building work.
I look forward to hearing from you, and many blessings!
David Ball
in Beirut, Lebanon
Accompanying church communities
Augustine United Church, Winnipeg, MB
Carberry United Church, Carberry, MB
Centre for Christian Studies, Winnipeg, MB
Epiphany & St. Mark's Anglican Church, Toronto, ON
First Metropolitan United Church, Victoria, BC
John Black Memorial Pastoral Charge, MB
Knox-Zion United Church, Carberry, MB
Nelson United Church, Nelson, BC
New Life Ministries, Winnipeg, MB
St. Agnes Anglican Church, Carberry, MB
St. Aidan's United Church, Victoria, BC
St. George's United Church, Courtenay, BC
St. Matthew's Anglican Church, Winnipeg, MB
St. Philip's Anglican Church, Victoria, BC
St. Saviour's Anglican Church, Victoria, BC
Student Christian Movement of Canada
Toronto Catholic Worker




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home