Wanderings and musings
The crescent moon rises over a family in the ancient Al-Umawwi Mosque in Damascus, Syria Dear friends,
I'VE BEEN BACK IN LEBANON ONE MONTH NOW. I know this because I just completed - successfully - my one-month visa expiry adventure to Syria. While I was there, I visited the stunning and ancient Al-Umawwi (Ummayid) Mosque, and got the chance to pray (al-salat) with the worshipping Muslims, something I didn't feel confident doing on my first visit in the winter.
The mosque was originally a Pagan temple, consecrated as a church, and finally into a mosque. It houses the supposed head of John the Baptist, a prophet in Islam, and the tomb of Saladin, who defended Damascus against the Crusaders. Many Muslims I met remembered proudly former Pope John Paul II's visit to John's tomb.
I have learned some really interesting things about Islam. One thing is the equality of all believers, regardless of wealth or status. There is no furniture inside a mosque, allowing for higher and lower levels, and during prayer the worshippers stand shoulder-to-shoulder in a long line... you can't hide in the back. It has been explained to me that the shoulder-to-shoulder rule prevents division and inequality among the believers (mu'ameen). There is no priesthood, either, and although there are sheikhs and imams who lead prayers and study, they do not have power in a hierarchy, but are chosen for their skills.
Of course, the equality is biased by my being a man, since women form a different line in prayer (usually in the same level and room, but sometimes in enclosed areas), and are not obliged to attend mosque as men are.
Mostly, I have found such a willingness to discuss and talk. I am continually impressed by Muslim's knowledge of my faith, of the life of Jesus, and of their very generous views of Christianity.
While sitting in a cafe waiting for a bus, a young Sunni Muslim approached and told me about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead and healing the sick girl, two of the many accounts of Jesus' life in the Quran. He then asked if I had a Bible, and when he asked where he could find one, I decided to offer it to him.
I'm usually not this bold, and certainly did not come here with any intent to convert anyone or hand out scriptures. I am not here to change any one or impose my own culture. So I highlighted the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-6) and and I told him I hoped it would help him in some way - if even to become a better Muslim himself.
The Beatitudes (Blessed are the poor...) and Love your enemies are teachings precious to me, and so often serve as anchors and guideposts on my journey.
+ + +
Returning to Beirut, I hit a slump. I haven't begun working yet, and there is no news on a job with Palestinians I was really excited about. It's hard, since I have little to define myself by - now I've finished my internship with the church but want to continue here. I know God will present some opportunity for me. And I always have to remind myself that I am not here primarily to do but to be in relationship and learning.
It's just really hard to do that. So as I re-evaluate my priorities here, and how I want to express my faith, could you please keep my small struggle in your prayers? It's really nothing compared to what so many face, but I want to be useful, and I really wish I could have the confidence to trust in God's purpose for my life.
Thanks, and until next time,
David
Protected from the blazing sun in a keffiyeh (traditional headscarf), I wander the desert ruins in Palmyra, Syria - barely hours from the Iraq border [photo: David P Ball]
PRAYERS - JUNE 1, 2005
FOR MY TIME IN LEBANON - that I may stay open to the call of God, and willing to follow that call where it leads me. That I may find meaningful work here, and humility to serve the poor and oppressed, and find a solution to my visa problems
FOR CIVILIANS & SOLDIERS IN IRAQ - especially in light of the newly revealed massacre of 24 innocent Iraqis, in their houses, by U.S. Marines on a 'revenge' mission. May God be with the grieving families, and all victims everywhere. May soldiers be guided by conscience, and sent to war no more.
FOR THOSE SUPPORTING HUMAN RIGHTS - may they have wise discernment in choosing how they support justice, especially in Israel where there is fear, ignorance and sensitivity. May Canadians be moved to raise the stakes for Israel's oppression of Palestinians, but remember that Canada is not immune from such abuses, and not to single any one country out unfairly
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer




1 Comments:
David, you are remembered often in SCM circles. This week I was at a N. American Regional Committee (NARC) meeting in NYC with Sam, Sheilagh and Jennifer, and one of our bible study leaders, from the Philippines, talked about Being Knowing and Doing, primarily as the trinity of who we need to be--we cannot do one without the others. I wish this for you and pray for you often. --Allison ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home